Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Islamic State 1: Preface

When I was a student, I studied some books on political science with my teacher, ‘Allāmah Ḥamīd al-Dīn Farāhī. Among the works we studied I liked most the book, ‘Theory of the State’ by the famous Philosopher Johann Kaspar Bluntschli (d. 1881). It was then I conceived the idea of writing a book on the fundamentals of the Islamic State on that model. I was primarily motivated by the fact that all internationally recognized works on political science, including the above mentioned work of Johann Kaspar Bluntschli, do not either discuss the fundamental principles of Islamic state or, if some do, they dub the Islamic state as theocracy grounded in Papacy. To consider Islam a model of theocratic states not short of committing academic dishonesty.
I continued cherishing the idea of writing the conceived book. To this end I started gathering relavant data. However I did not find time to complete the work. I could only occasionally write different chapters of the book. Some of these chapters were published as independent articles in journals. Some others, however, were published in the form of small booklets. In doing so, my intention was to first complete the discussions as independent articles and then revise the material and publish it as a complete work. However, my work on Tadabbur-i Qur’ān (Pondering over the Qur’ān)[1]absorbed all my attention. I could not put all the chapters in the format of book chapters. And today I do not think I would be able to accomplish this in future. On the other hand, those who appreciated the book insistently demanded that it should be published as it is. I have been forced to concede to their desires on the stake of the completion of the book. Though, I believe, in its present form too, the book will add a very useful source to this field of study- in that the readers will obtain new light on the path of contemplation on these issues. I would request those who have shown appreciation for the book to exonerate its shortcomings. Who knows that some pious servant of God compiles a complete book on these lines on this subject in coming times? Nothing is difficult for God Almighty.
Amīn Aḥsan Iṣlāḥī.
October 6, 1976.



[1]Amīn Aḥsan Iṣlāḥī, Tadabbur-i Qur'ān, Lahore: Fārān Foundation, 1985.